4.01.2009

30 Days, 30 Poems: Starts... Now

Today at around noon, I recieved an ominous reminder from facebook. I had been tagged in a note from my friend Daemond that read "NaWriPoMo Challenge Day 1." For those of who only speak English, that is National Writing Poetry Month. In April, poets challenge themselves to write 30 poems for all 30 days of the month. Sigh. Though my year long writing venture ended back in February, I am going to try hard to keep this one going. 

This first comes from a prompt on Denise Jolly's myspace whilst I was stalking her before the Salt Lines show; I am an ugly...

I am an ugly adolescent 
Sitting jagged legged, high top
On the front stoop of the school

I am the track star's right fibula
Strained and tired
A rocket exploding
Step by step

I am the P Hall lockers
Ignored dents and ridges
Easily decoded and used
Abused

Like mascara 
On the dance captain's blink

A chiseled jaw of not quite grown men
Standing next to bleachers
Waiting to be counted

I am gym teacher's heart palpitations
Before she has to teach sex ed

I am the kid with the boner

The unadulterated nervousness
of the pixie cut girl who reads Nabakov

I am tears streaming down the face of those
broken
Homecoming
floats

I am the lead in the play
The drum major's final pause as arms rest calm 
at his side

I am just waiting to graduate



2 comments:

Karen Finneyfrock said...

Sarah, I love it! I'm so glad you are in and your blog is so cute I have blog envy! I'm posting mine on my blog too.

rivka said...

Love this poem! How bout a shout out to the lanky girl with the bushy brows? no? no. Happy NaPoWriMo or whatever it's called. I have yet to participate in NaBloPoMo but one of these days, one of these days...