4.02.2009

30 Days, 30 Poems: Day 2

Thanks to a little prompt from D. Arrindell:

Where I'm From

Where I’m from parents still spin vinyl on dusty record players

Kitchen counters full of organic, non-perfumed hand soap

Cause the suburbs makes everyone allergic

We’re told not to yell up rooms or down stairs

But listen to TV too loudly

While lazy D bangs everything

but the drumset in the basement


There are crispy leaves falling from firecracker trees

where I’m from

Illuminating the old houses and the pitch black cul-de-sac

While kids play recklessly outside houses with

unneeded alarm systems

And you never hear the Prius coming up the street

where I’m from.


Memories are stuffed in shoeboxes and never albums

We smoke prime times on the hood of our Jetta and

Imagine a night without stars

Hand me downs riding open streets with

Case Logic ripping up

The rear view


No comments: