10.07.2008

About A Boy I Knew Once

Seriously, I'm 12...

You make me physically uncomfortable
Like a thong
Like a night that goes on too long, laced with alcoholic visions and poor life decisions

You make me uncomfortable like the morning after

Uncomfortable like the first time I saw Jordan Catalano lean when I was 14
Or the first time your best friends shows up in your not so little-kid dreams
Or me trying to fit in to size 6 jeans

Like the first time you make a promise you know you won’t keep
Or sitting in the middle seat, admitting your defeat
Or the first time I let a new boyfriend touch my feet

Or like when you know you’re hanging out with people cooler than you
And wondering if they know too
Or when you still haven’t gotten your period and it’s day 32

Uncomfortable like biting my tongue when I know too much
Or Sunday morning exit strategies because last night I needed a touch
No not your touch
His touch
But I had to settle for a touch just to make this loneliness a little more
comfortable

Uncomfortable like the heart palpitations I get when I think about turning 25
Or riding shotgun with my best friend from New York who never learned how to drive
Or the impulse
To have our hearts broken just to know we’re still alive.

Uncomfortable when I hear your name and the word itself transfixes on my brain
Seeps through my veins
Causing the syncopation
of casual conversation
to come out in stutters

The anticipation of seeing you makes me sweat

And smile

And practice conversations we may exchange between our lips
Because this delicate dialogue is too scary without a script.

Uncomfortable like the secret we share
That under my palms of sweat and flirty glares

This concoction of curiosity and chaos
that is our trademark brew
I secretly revel in the joy of knowing

that I make you uncomfortable too.

9 comments:

this is not a joke said...

this is so good!!

Unknown said...

I like it! Julia Crantz pointed me in the direction of your poem, by way of her chat status message. Good stuff, really like it. Thank you for sharing. ~Blue

Julia said...

You're so talented it's scary.

Mom Lawson said...

Really like the musicality of this poem. Way to go!

Proud Mom

Mom Lawson said...

Really like the musicality of this poem. Way to go.

Mom Lawson

Unknown said...

i heard this before???? sarah - this is REALLY good. you should be performing this. I love the awkwardness you bring to life as well as the fact that the rhyme scheme doesn;t seem forced.
very well done.

Michelle said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Michelle said...

What I like to see in the work of others,be it poetry or fiction is the author being true to herself. If I had to guess out of a thousand poems which one was yours I'd pick this one. I love it - it is true to who you are.

Lauren Welch said...

dude. this one is awesome. they're all awesome.