8.09.2009

What happens when you ask your waiter for a prompt

Gowri K and I met for a long overdue Sunday afternoon at Tryst today. With no inspiration of our own brewing,  we asked our waiter for a jumping off point. Turns out, he had almost died on his drive to Adam's Morgan from Virginia. So here goes "I almost died." Also much thanks to the wonderful bartenders we sat next to who bought us shots of Blue Curacao (?). Random but tasty.

I almost died this morning
Twice
The first time I got lost in the soundtrack of your 
breath as we slept. 
You whispering in my ear with each
dip in your dreaming. 
I forgot what my breath tasted like. 

Forgot that the nutrition of your touch, your limbs
Felt essential as hearts beating, breaking. 
I wanted to forget about that rhythm and try 
your lungs instead 
But morning reminded me of time, rhythms. 

I knew we'd eventually rise to burnt toast and crosswords
And the moment on the stoop when I want to grab you 
and run away to under the covers. 

See I almost died today.
Twice.
I arose and went back to sleep.

But in those moments before consciousness
before the day's hissing latte machine or somber music,
with your breath playing that hymnal in my ear,
briefly before daylight stole you away
I lived. 

2 comments:

Jen said...

Wow, Sar, awesome. I really love this one. The first line grabbed me instantly.

J. Brody said...

i like this one. i think i can hear it. perform it at spit dat tomorrow.